We often get asked if it is best to spend money on SEO or Adwords and what the difference is.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
SEO is a method of online marketing that focuses on getting better rankings in the search engine results pages of Google, Yahoo, Bing and other major search engines. SEO helps you to rank higher in the organic, or natural search results. Properly implemented SEO optimizes your site in terms of keywords, content, links, and other technical aspects. In order to do this, you need to make sure that your website is search engine friendly. We ensure all of our websites are SEO friendly when developing them but to achieve the best results we need to implement an ongoing SEO campaign.
Adwords is an advertising platform owned by Google that allows you to position your paid advertisement on the top or right-hand side of the search results pages on Google and other affiliate websites. As an advertiser you can choose to either pay when someone clicks on your ad (Cost Per Click or CPC) or when people see your ad (CPM or Cost per Thousands Impressions). The whole Google Adwords platform works like an auction where advertisers compete for the available advertising spots.
- Adwords traffic is paid while SEO traffic is free (well kinda, you aren’t paying for you spot you have worked to get there over time, which usually cost money)
- Adwords ads appear in the same place all the time (the top and right of a Google Search) but with SEO you have to work much harder to get one of the top positions in the organic search results.
- Adwords is more immediate than SEO since you can create advertising campaigns almost instantly and start getting targeted traffic. However wiht SEO you need a lot more time to get good rankings and traffic, we recommend a minimum of 3 months SEO and 6 months for new websites.
- With Adwords it is easier to measure how your advertising budget is being spent and keeping track of your return of investment.
- SEO can provide more long term benefits. Once you get to page one you will typically stay there.
Deciding what method is right for your business will depend on a few things. Budget, timeframe and existing competition.
We don’t manage Adwords campaigns but we are happy to provide advice on what keywords or search terms to target. We can work with you on an SEO campaign to get you ranking higher for your specific business. You can learn more about our SEO services here.